Friday, May 31, 2013

Easy recipes: Harley's Oatmeal Frittata

I have a confession to make: I don't like oatmeal. But oatmeal seems to like me. I feel great after eating oatmeal. It's a perfect pre-race breakfast for me. But I can only eat it as prepared in this recipe, which I called "Harley's Oatmeal Frittata" because I first read it in Harley Pasternak's "5 Factor Fitness" book, which I bought a few years ago when I needed a little big push. I tried eating oatmeal prepared "traditionally" with water and other stuff thrown in it, like fruits, brown sugar, honey etc, but the sticky gooey texture and the almost non existent taste just doesn't do it for me. That's why I keep on making it as a frittata and I don't mind sharing the recipe with you, in case you'd like to give it a try too. Who doesn't like a healthy and filling breakfast ready in 5 minutes?

Ingredients:

1/2 cup organic quick oats
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
Two dozens of jumbo organic raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 splenda pack or 2 tsp brown sugar
3-4 tbsp organic unsweetened apple sauce


Preparation (5 min):
Place dry oats in a deep dish safe for the microwave oven.
Pour egg whites uniformly over the oats. Add more oats to cover the liquid patches if needed.
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar/splenda on top.
Place raisins on top. I tend to go OCD with those as you can see in the pictures.
Cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in it, then microwave for 2 minutes.
Take out of the microwave (attention, it's hot) and remove plastic wrap (I thought I'd mention it, just in case).
Pour apple sauce on top and enjoy!

You can find more recipes from this blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment