Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Too many variables

Every day I feel lethargic. I sleep well and I wake up without problem, but by 9am I want to go back to bed. I come from work and all I want to do is to go to sleep. During the day, I can barely keep my eyes open.
I am moody. I am melancholic. Sometimes I am on the verge of crying for no reason at all. I cannot explain it. It just is. I don't know what I want or what I miss.
I don't feel like exercising. I could go to the pool, I could hop on the trainer or hit the treadmill at the gym. But all I can handle right now are the weekly yoga class, the group swim and the group bike classes. On my own, nothing at all.

I have been in this funk for a few weeks now and I don't know why.

Too many variables:

Maybe it's Seasonal Affective Disorder because I hate the cold and the way it makes my body feel (Raynaud's, asthma, dry skin) and I'd rather be somewhere sunny instead?
Maybe because I changed my diet and my body misses the double dose of carbs/sugar?
Maybe because I am often feeling hungry and I run out of energy?
Maybe I am just hangry?
Maybe because I'm tired and need a vacation?
Maybe because my body is all screwed up since I've cut 3/4 of my workouts out (4h/week instead of 12h)?
Maybe because I'm no longer racing?
Maybe because I'm getting older?
Maybe because I miss my friends and being social?
Maybe because I'm scared of what's to come?

It can be any of these, or none, or all at once. I have 2 more weeks to snap out of it. Until then, I leave you with a picture that makes me feel better. I don't know who took it, so I apologize to the owner for not crediting them here, but it's too beautiful not to share.
I see me.
Hope your winter is sunnier than mine.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in a similar place right now. The lull in the holidays between training, not eating right, and the cold weather beginning always throws me into a little bit of a tailspin. Hopefully next will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be all of those things for sure. Enjoy some rest and relaxation and hopefully it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. might be post race blues, happens to a lot of people. Give your self the needed rest and time off but I find starting to plan for the next year helps, so does just spending some time on the ironman website and watching these videos... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmT9YsAjn0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetbNKX3l8U :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you spoken to your dr at all? This sounds a bit like depression. I'd go and talk to him/her and see what they think. Hopefully you're feeling better soon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete