Sunday, January 25, 2015

Good news!! Grab them while they last!!

Wait, what is happening? Good news?? Something like that... may not be very significant in the grand scheme of things, but at least it's a start. Every day that I don't feel injured must be celebrated!!

After last week's stunt in the hospital, I made sure to stay put. I spent most of the weekend on the couch, resting my back as much as I could. I did not have to take any of the Tylenol/Codeine (T3), but continued the Naproxen until Wednesday evening. I skipped all workouts, and I even went for massage therapy on Monday morning. Despite the therapist's gentle touch, it totally made me feel like I got beaten with a baseball bat. Needless to say, I worked from home that day because I needed to remain horizontal. And just like that, come Thursday, all pain was gone!

Gave myself 2 more days to make sure it wasn't just the Naproxen lingering in my system and Friday night I laced my shoes and went out for a run. Well, you know... the sort of runs that I'm doing right now. Went on the same 2.5km loop around the block, but did 2 min run/1 min walk, with the run intervals a little faster than usual. I remember when Zin was recovering from ITB issues, he was told to run a little faster = less pounding. No issues during this run, but my knees felt a little hot afterwards, which I suppose is the new normal.
Next day I spent a good 30min on my roller, plus stretching and smashing all sore muscles. My adductors were a mess, and so were my Gluteus medius. By the way, you'll hear me talking muscles more often from now on because thanks to Jim from 50 after 40 I finally bought a muscle chart. I had no idea it would be so big though... I still need to find a place for it where it doesn't scare my house guests.
That's what I get for not knowing the imperial system...

Alright, last but not least, today I returned to the pool! The workout was mostly speed intervals and for the first time ever I went without having breakfast - I wasn't feeling hungry, and as part of the nutritional coaching that I'm following, I am learning to listen to the hunger cues - so I don''t know if it was in my head or not, but I wondered if I would have done better with some food in my stomach. I managed to go through all the sets though and I was pretty proud of myself. Here's what it looked like (not all times were recorded because I don't measure the kick sets and sometimes I just forget to start the watch again, plus there's the Garmin hiccups).

100m free | 50m pull | 50m kick | 3x50m fist rest 30 | 4x50m desc rest 20 | 50m 85% rest 40 | 100m 85% rest 45 | 150m 85% rest 50 | 150m 85% rest 50 | 100m 85% rest 45 | 50m 85% rest 40 | 100m pull ez rest 20 | 8x25m sprint rest 15 | 2x75 (25kick/25pull/25swim) | 50 breast stroke
And that's about it! Back was a little tired after the swim, hence the blogging opportunity while I lie on the couch, waiting for Zin to come back from his 18km indoor run.

One day at a time, it's all I can afford for now. Thanks to all who sent me words of encouragement and were there for me when I was losing it last week. You guys mean the world to me <3.

5 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAYYYYYYY! OMG I'm SO happy to read this lady!!! I think a celebratory lunch is in order soon!!! WHEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good news to me....makes me smile and must make you smile more...Fingers crossed for you and continued good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear good news! You are turning the corner! I'm sure there will still be ups and downs, but for now, that's simply wonderful. Enjoy the painless running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news!!! And you're welcome for the poster idea, ha. But that thing is HUGE ... freaking life size!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news for sure! Take is slow and easy!

    ReplyDelete